This is what’s been simmering on my stove in the last week. Anyone who knows me knows I love soup. I’ve always got a bowl of something ready to heat up at a moments notice, kind of like a big warm hug.
I love this recipe, because it’s super easy and quick to throw together without a lot of prep. Big bonus? It tastes even better re-heated the next day. It’s packed with super healthy hearty vegetables and best of all, it’s yummy!
Curry Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup
1 1/2 tbsps olive oil
2 medium onions
2 tbsps mild curry paste
1 tbsp honey
2 cups small red lentils
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and coarsely diced
1 pound good quality stewing beef (seasoned with salt and pepper and dusted with a bit of flour)
8 cups chicken stock
4 cups water
Garnishes, any one of: diced green onion, sprinkle of paprika, chopped coriander, dollop of greek yogurt, home made croutons, a dollop of sour cream, cheddar cheese shavings, etc
1. Heat oil in a medium sized stock pot.
2. Brown beef pieces on all sides. Remove.
3. Dice onions and sauté until browned. Watch that you do not burn and if you see any brown spots developing, scrape down immediately.
4. Once browned, add curry paste and stir until cooked through, about 5 mins. Feel free to add more if you like a richer curry flavor. Add honey and 2 pinches of salt.
5. Return beef to pot and incorporate. Add water and chicken stock. Add sweet potatoes and then lentils.
6. Bring to a very gentle simmer for about 45 – 60 minutes.
7. Turn off heat and let soup settle for about 5 minutes. Use ladle to scoop out about 6 cups of soup from the top. Use a hand blender to blend the 6 cups until smooth and return to the soup. Mix back in.
8. Garnish and serve. Watch everyone slurp up your delicious soup and line up for seconds. Give yourself a little pat on the back for trying a new recipe.