I’ve been tinkering around with this recipe lately, really looking for that holy grail of banana bread greatness and I think I hit it. Out-of-the-park. It’s actually good enough that I considered dropping the ‘gluten-free’ but then I thought it wouldn’t be fair to all those gluten-seekers who really need to find those great recipe gems.
This banana bread is moist, flavorful, jam packed with protein and yummy goodness. It really rocks and is hard to keep on the counter.
Bonus? Extra awesome super unbelievable bonus? It’s gluten-free and sugar-free. Seriously. I even got a 96 out of 100 from my harshest critic. My niece, who has one of the best and most critical palettes I know. Step aside celebrity chefs, this girl has got your ass kicked when it comes to assessing and ripping apart any and every dish. I literally hang on her every word, and more than I like to admit, she is almost always right. (Sorry, Isa, respectfully, I do disagree at times). I take a little bit of secret pleasure in this characteristic, somewhere deep down I feel a little responsible for her incredibly confident and knowledgeable sense of flavor, texture and balance. Not to make it about me, but somehow I feel like those trips to Kensington looking at lentils and mushrooms when she was 3 may have rubbed off…
Back to the recipe, 96 out of 100 is an all time record. For me, that’s big snaps and what that means for you is that you can trust it is third party certified awesome. Try it. Tell us what you think. Tell us how your kids inhale it and you are secretly smiling ‘cuz this is good enough to eat for breakfast and isn’t even a treat. It’s just good good stuff.
Best Ever Gluten-Free Sugar-Free Banana Bread
makes 2 loaves
1 1/2 cups almond flour
1 cup gluten free flour mix
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking powder
4 large organic eggs
3/4 coconut sugar
1 tsp natural vanilla
1/2 cup roasted nut oil (walnut, hazelnut, almond)
3 very ripe organic bananas, mashed
1/2 organic applesauce
optional: 1 bar Camino organic fair trade 80% dark chocolate bar
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line two loaf pans with parchment paper.
2. Whisk all dry ingredients together.
3. Combine eggs, sugar, vanilla in stand mixer (or hand blender) and blend until smooth and light, 3 minutes.
4. Add oil, applesauce and banana, mix.
5. Optional: roughly chop chocolate bar and add. This will result in a non-sugar free cake – the chocolate bar contains sugar but is a wonderfully decadent addition to this loaf.
6. Bake for 35 minutes. Rotate in oven. Bake for another 25 minutes until inserted toothpick comes out cleanly.
7. Allow to cool completely before turning out.