Yum, yum, yum. This is THAT time of year. THAT time of year is defined by my favorite ingredient of all time, hands down, the heirloom tomato. Vine ripened, heirloom seeds someone picked out of a tomato and rolled up in a paper towel and brought back in a suitcase from Italy many many years back and has been carefully planted, sun ripened and grown with much love and careful attention – luscious, meaty, sweet heirloom tomatoes from the cottage are in season! Pure gold in my circle. So this time of year, I am eating tomatoes everyday. Usually at least two times per day. Here is one of my most popular recipes, often requested, always a hit and super easy to put together.
The makings of a perfect summer salad.
Heirloom Tomato and Grilled Corn Salad With Warm Bacon Dressing:
4-6 small/med heirloom tomatoes (feel free to mix colors and varieties)
2 ears peaches and cream corn
handful of spicy micro greens, preferably arugula, mustard or radish (you can use baby arugula too)
200 grams organic bacon
good quality olive oil and balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
1. Boil corn and then grill until lightly toasted. Shear corn and set aside.
2. Cook bacon to desired done-ness. Break into bits. Save 1 tbsp + 1 tsp bacon fat for dressing. Bacon/bacon fat should be hot when you assemble dressing.
3. Assemble salad; sprinkle microgreens, layer tomatoes over, sprinkle with corn.
4. Whisk together dressing; bacon fat, olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper, bacon pieces.
5. Pour still warm dressing over salad and serve immediately.
Must haves; basic essentials for any dressing. High quality olive oil, balsamic, finishing salt and pepper makes everything taste amazing. Spend the extra couple of bucks and everything will taste a 1000 X better.