This appetizer is quick, easy and amazing, right up my alley. It is really simple to put together, packed with over the top flavour and fantastic ingredients but the gently heated dressing is the key to creating that “wow” factor. Give it a try at your next dinner party or romantic evening for two, it is truly plate licking deliciousness. I can usually get about 3 apps from one Burrata, but this is so good you may want to splurge and do 1 for every 2 people. Even better, serve it with a poached egg and some crusty bread for a hearty meatless main or superb brunch idea.
Burrata Salad with Warm Black Olive Dressing
The dressing can be assembled ahead of time but needs to be heated at the very last minute before serving. This is crucial.
1 good quality Italian imported Burrata
4 large leaves Basil, sliced
1 package pea shoots
3 tbsps toasted pine nuts
4 tbsps good quality olive oil
1/2 cup black sundries olives, pitted and torn into pieces
1/3 cup sundried tomatoes, soaked and chopped
2 tbsps aged balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
1. Tear Burrata into pieces, 6-8 total. Divide among 2 plates.
2. Toss gently with pea shoots, pine nuts and basil.
3. Mix olives, olive oil, salt, pepper, tomatoes and vinegar together. Gently, gently, gently, heat dressing until fairly warm, almost hot. Turn heat down immediately if oil begins to bubble or smoke. You want to gently heat the oil to infuse all flavours and warm up your cheese. Anything more will change the composition of the oil or melt the cheese, of which you want neither!
4. Immediately pour the warm dressing over your salad and serve.
5. Make sure you have another Burrata in the fridge when guests (or your hubby) ask for seconds.