I am a big big fan of any kind of curry and this Massaman blend is one of my favorites. I generally like to make my own curry pastes but when I tried this paste from Thai Kitchen, I was happily surprised at how much it tasted like the real thing. I always have a jar handy in my pantry for those nights when I’m short on time and need a quick and delicious meal on the table.
The flavors are deep and complex, very rich and tasty. I really do love any Thai curry. They are remarkably healthy, deriving all of their flavor from a blend of herbs, spices and roots. Add a super food like coconut milk to these pastes and you’ll have a delicious satisfying meal that’s good for you too. Out-of-the-park in my book.
Here is my riff on a traditional Massaman, made with sweet potatoes, peas and chicken drumsticks. Try this on a weeknight with some plain rice, brown if you want ‘brownie’ points (hehehe) for a a super healthy supper and watch your family lick their plates clean. You can make it in advance, it is even tastier the next day!!!
Massaman Curry Chicken Drumsticks with Sweet Potatoes and Peas
serves 4 with a little left over for lunch
6 chicken thighs
2 medium onions, roughly diced
2 medium sweet potatoes, cubed
1 cup frozen peas
2 cups chicken broth
1 can Thai Kitchen coconut milk
1 cup water
juice of 1 lime
3 tbsps Thai Kitchen Massaman Curry Paste
1 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsps chopped cilantro
2 tbsps toasted chopped cashews
1. Heat olive oil in a casserole style pan.
2. Season drumsticks with salt and pepper.
3. Brown on all sides in your pan. Remove.
4. Add curry paste. Heat until paste just begins to smoke.
5. Add onions and cook until translucent, 5 minutes.
6. Add chicken back to pan.
7. Add chicken broth and water. Make sure to scrape any brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
8. Stir in coconut milk.
9. Add sweet potatoes and lime.
10. Bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer.
11. Cook for 40 minutes, until meat is falling off the bone and the liquid thickens to a gravy-like consistency.
12. Garnish with cilantro and cashews.