I love this project. This was my first foray into bleach spraying. I came across a tutorial and thought it looked pretty easy so I decided to give it a try and make 2 Valentine projects for two of my favorite Valentine’s – my nieces who will certainly pull off a Kitson-esque type look with these babies.
The project was quick, easy and very cheap, all criteria that puts this DIY at the top of my favorites. Check out my pics and how -to below. There are alot of photos, but I thought they would provide a very clear step by step on how easy this is really is.
Found these tanks at Dollarama, 2 bucks each and the cotton is pretty decent to boot.
Supplies: cardboard, tin foil, bleach, spray bottle.
Take the cardboard and cover it with tin foil so that the bleach doesn’t leach through to the other side.
Take some more cardboard and cut out your desired shape to use as a stencil. I used a simple heart.
Fill your spray bottle with a mixture of bleach and water. I used 2 parts water to 1 part bleach. Spray around your stencil and wait for the bleach to start to work. You should see results within a couple of minutes. Experiment with how much or how little spray you apply.
Remove your stencil. Looks great!
Rinse out very, very thoroughly.
Here’s my second design. I had these stickers left over from another project.
I cut out an outline of the letters I wanted.
I really had to soak this one through. I guess because the dye was so much darker it really took more bleach than the grey one.
You can see how wet the fabric is here. Also, note the collar began to change color immediately. You may want to experiment on the inside of your garment first if you are unsure of what the bleach will do to the fabric. I didn’t do any experimenting but just went with it.
This tank took much more time for the fabric to react. This was what it looked like after 10 minutes of sitting.
I wanted to add more of a personal touch to these. I found these cute heart shaped buttons at Micheal’s. They were about 4 dollars for a huge pack.
I randomly sewed some buttons in a couple of spots on both of the tanks. They really added an extra layer of whimsy to the tops.
That’s it. Here they are finished. I’m really happy with the end product. Try your own, send us some pics so we can share.